Starting to hear rumblings about a huge march against climate change in NY September 21st? Here is what it's all …
– 208 pages
6 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 290 Grams
BISAC: BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Environmental Economics
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2009-04-01
Coal, Climate and the Last Energy Crisis
Coal fuels about 50 percent of US electricity production and provides a quarter of the country's total energy. China and India's ferocious economic growth is based almost entirely on coal-generated electricity.
Coal currently looks like a solution to many of our fast-growing energy problems. However, while coal advocates are urging full steam ahead, increasing reliance on the dirtiest of all fossil fuels has crucial implications for the global climate, energy policy, the world economy, and geopolitics.
Drawbacks to a coal-based energy strategy include:
- Scarcity – new studies suggest that the peak of world coal production may actually be less than two decades away.
- Cost – the quality of produced coal is declining, while the expense of transport is rising, leading to spiraling costs and increasing shortages.
- Climate impacts - our ability to deal with the historic challenge of climate change will hinge on reducing our coal consumption in future years.
Blackout goes to the heart of the tough energy questions that will dominate every sphere of public policy throughout the first half of this century, and is a must-read for planners, educators, and anyone concerned about energy consumption, peak oil and climate change.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.