Today's post from Christina Crook, the author of The Joy of Missing Out, Finding Balance in a Wired World, reminds us …
– 224 pages
5.5 Inches × 8.5 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 300 Grams
BISAC: SOCIAL SCIENCE / Anthropology / Cultural
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2005-02-01
A Village Takes on the Global Heroin Trade
"Chiva" is street slang for heroin - and heroin is a hot topic.
Its use as a narcotic is on a precipitous rise. Worldwide heroin production has doubled in the last decade, and the United Nations estimates more than fifteen million users are addicted - up to three million in the United States. It's big business, too, with yearly global sales of 0 billion - up to billion in the U.S. Enmeshed with terrorism, crime, government collaboration, corporate globalization, and the spread of HIV, the opiate trade is inextricably entangled with the functioning of global society. Finally, heroin is controversial because of the on-going debates about solutions to the health, social and economic havoc it creates.
Chiva uses creative nonfiction to merge the global epic of heroin trafficking with the human-scale story of its presence in the small desert town that boasts the most per-capita overdose deaths in the U.S. The book interweaves three themes:
- The true tale of ChimayÃ³, New Mexico, terrorized by its heroin dealers since the 1970s until, in the late '90s, its citizens rose up to challenge the epidemic in their midst.
- The story of the author's relationship with a local dealer, and his involvement with addiction, crime, love, recovery and the judicial system.
- The political context behind these stories: the global workings of the heroin production business.
Compelling, disturbing, yet hopeful, Chiva is both personal and political, revealing the relationship between colonization and drug abuse, and the importance of reclaiming sustainable culture as a key to recovery.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.