– 288 pages
7.5 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 732 Grams
BISAC: GARDENING / Organic
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2014-10-01
Eat Your Greens
The Surprising Power of Homegrown Leaf Crops
Our industrialized food system is failing us, and as individuals we must take more responsibility for our own health and food security. Leaf crops produce more nutrients per square foot of growing space and per day of growing season than any other crops, especially vitamins and minerals commonly lacking in the North American diet. As hardy as they are versatile, these beautiful leafy vegetables range from the familiar to the exotic. Some part of this largely untapped food resource can thrive in almost any situation.
Eat Your Greens provides complete instructions for incorporating these nutritional powerhouses into any kitchen garden. This innovative guide:
- Shows how familiar garden plants such as sweet potato, okra, beans, peas and pumpkins can be grown to provide both nourishing leaves and other calorie- and protein-rich foods
- Introduces a variety of non-traditional alternatives readily adapted to local growing conditions, such as chaya, moringa, toon and wolfberry
- Explains how to improve your soil while getting plenty of vegetables by growing edible cover crops.
Beginning with a comprehensive overview of modern commercial agriculture, and rounded out by a selection of advanced techniques to maximize, preserve and prepare your harvest, Eat Your Greens is an invaluable addition to the library of any gardening enthusiast.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.