Our thoughts are with AK Press today. Last weekend their warehouse and distribution center was burned and suffered …
– 208 pages
6 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 341 Grams
BISAC: SOCIAL SCIENCE / Agriculture & Food
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2012-06-01
Why and How to Eat Less Meat
Each year the average North American ingests well over 200 pounds of animal protein, and the global appetite for meat has also increased dramatically. But feeding our meat addiction comes at tremendous cost. Maintaining our current level of consumption is ecologically impossible in the long-term, and undermines our personal health and community well-being.
High Steaks documents the consequences of modern large-scale industrial meat production and excessive consumption including:
- The loss of vast tracts of arable land and fresh water to intensive livestock production
- Increased pollution, loss of biodiversity, deforestation and accelerating climate change
- The environmental and health impacts of too much animal fat and of fertilizers, antibiotics and other chemicals in our food.
Timely and compelling, this powerful book offers a modest, commonsense approach to a serious problem, suggesting strategies for all of us to cut back on our consumption of animal products and ensure that the meat we do consume is produced in a sustainable, ecologically responsible manner. At the same time, High Steaks describes progressive food policy shifts that will discourage factory farming and encourage people to eat in ways that support ecosystems and personal health.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.