– 208 pages
7.5 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 426 Grams
BISAC: ARCHITECTURE / Sustainability & Green Design
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2011-10-01
Sustainable Homes for Next to Nothing
Housing is a fundamental human right. For most of human history, our homes were built by hand from whatever local materials were available. However, since the Industrial Revolution, most housing has become little more than quickly constructed, mass-produced, uniform boxes. At the same time, the invention and standardization of the 30-year mortgage and our ever-increasing reliance on credit has come to mean that most of us never own our homes outright.
Housing Reclaimed is a call to arms for nonconventional home builders. It examines how technological advances, design evolution and resourceful, out-of-the-box thinking about materials and efficiency can help us meet the challenge of building affordable, environmentally-friendly, beautiful and unique homes. Focusing on the use of salvaged and reclaimed materials, this inspirational volume is packed with case studies of innovative projects including:
- Phoenix Commotion Â— working together towards low-income home ownership through sweat equity and 100% recycled materials
- HabeRae Â— revitalizing neighborhoods by creating urban infill using modern technology and sustainable and reclaimed materials
- Builders of Hope Â— rescuing and rehabilitating whole houses slated for demolition.
These projects and others like them demonstrate that building oneÂ’s own home does not have to be an unattainable dream. This beautifully illustrated guide is a must-read for anyone interested in creating quality zero or low-debt housing, reducing landfill waste and creating stronger communities.
You might also enjoy
Your Complete Guide to Living beyond the Grid with Renewable Energy Technologies and Sustainable Living - 14th Edition - Revised and Updated
What book would you want if you were stranded on a desert island? Widely regarded as the 'bible' of off-grid living, The Solar Living Sourcebook …view title info
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.