In our October 29th blog, we announced that New Society Publishers continues to be carbon neutral by offsetting our …
– 352 pages
7.5 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 685 Grams
BISAC: SOCIAL SCIENCE / General
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2008-11-01
Evolutionary Intelligences for the Human Hive
Cities function unintelligently when their parts are disconnected. The integral city meshes or multiplies city intelligences by integrating capacities, functions and locations into a whole system, like a human hive. Everything counts.
An integral city exists as a whole living system within the context of a specific natural environment, climate and ecology. The city, like a human hive, dances with a complex concentration of energies. As a natural system with intellectual, physical, cultural and social intelligences, it adapts to all the same issues, factors and challenges that affect the evolution of life anywhere: how to integrate information, matter and energy.
Integral City applies an integral paradigm for appreciating the city. Numerous graphs and specific examples describe integral processes and tools for change. This is a global, whole, multi-perspective way of looking at the world. Chapters explore:
- Four-quadrant map of reality
- Cities as concentrators of complex wealth
- Mapping intelligence capacities
- Mapping infrastructure for resource allocation
- Designing appropriate governance systems
- Relating the exterior environment to interior city life
- Integral vital signs monitors.
Integral City will appeal to anyone interested in creating conditions in which our cities can evolve intelligently beyond the challenges of the 21st century.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.