Today's post from Christina Crook, the author of The Joy of Missing Out, Finding Balance in a Wired World, reminds us …
– 288 pages
6 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 479 Grams
BISAC: TECHNOLOGY & ENGINEERING / Agriculture / Animal Husbandry
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2013-11-01
Living Well with Heritage Chickens, Turkeys and Ducks
by Victoria Redhed Miller
foreword by Jeannette Beranger
Houdan. Nankin. Indian Runner. Narragansett. These may sound like exotic place names or unusual varieties of produce, but each actually refers to one of the many hundreds of lesser-known poultry breeds which tempt the livestock owner who's prepared to venture into less familiar territory. Providing an alternative to commercial breeds and hybrids, heritage breeds each boast their own unique characteristics and personality traits, and are a valuable (and entertaining) addition to a sustainable food system.
Pure Poultry is the first book in nearly a hundred years to focus specifically on heritage breeds of chickens, turkeys and ducks and their role in a self-reliant lifestyle. This timely, beautifully illustrated resource includes:
- Detailed guidelines on everything from housing, breeding and day-to-day care, to processing, cooking and preserving
- Much-needed information on using heritage breeds for egg and meat production
- Tips, inspiration, recommended reading, and additional resources
- A unique planning worksheet that simplifies the process of starting out with poultry.
Brimming with quiet humor, Pure Poultry is an immensely readable "how-to and why-to" based entirely on personal experience - including plenty of lessons learned the hard way. Pure Poultry shows how heritage-breed poultry can enhance and deepen anyone's quality of life, whether you have a farm, a small backyard, or a neighbor with space to share.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.