– 192 pages
5.5 Inches × 8.5 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 276 Grams
BISAC: POLITICAL SCIENCE / Civics & Citizenship
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2014-04-01
Think Like a Commoner
A Short Introduction to the Life of the Commons
The biggest "tragedy of the commons" is the misconception that commons are failures - relics from another era rendered unnecessary by the Market and State. Think Like a Commoner dispels such prejudices by explaining the rich history and promising future of the commons - an ageless paradigm of cooperation and fairness that is re-making our world.
With graceful prose and dozens of fascinating stories, Bollier describes the quiet revolution that is pioneering practical forms of self-governance and production controlled by people themselves. Think Like a Commoner explains how the commons:
- Is an exploding field of DIY innovation ranging from Wikipedia and seed-sharing to community forests and collaborative consumption, and beyond
- Challenges the standard narrative of market economics by explaining how cooperation generates significant value and human fulfillment
- Provides a framework of law and social action that can help us move beyond the pathologies of neoliberal capitalism.
We have a choice: Ignore the commons and suffer the ongoing private plunder of our common wealth. Or Think Like a Commoner and learn how to rebuild our society and reclaim our shared inheritance. This accessible, comprehensive introduction to the commons will surprise and enlighten you, and provoke you to action.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.