While heating with wood is often considered a natural and economical alternative to electricity or fossil fuels, even …
– 448 pages
6 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 650 Grams
BISAC: TRANSPORTATION / General
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2010-05-01
Moving People and Freight without Oil
Modern societies now rely almost entirely on oil for moving people and freight. The impacts on transport of scarcer and more expensive oil pose major challenges to humanity. They require revolutions in our thinking about mobility, and consequent changes in all forms of transport.
Transport Revolutions analyses five episodes of rapid and radical change in the way people and goods have travelled. It examines the worldwide state of transport today, especially its energy use and its impacts, positive and negative. The authors then show, focusing on the United States and China, how ample movement of people and freight could be sustained beyond 2025 with much-reduced dependence on oil. Preparations for the end of cheap oil include:
- Substantial use of electricity to power land transport
- Use of wind to help power water transport
- Reduced movement of people and goods by air
- New approaches to transport planning, finance, and management.
Written for transport professionals, planners, policymakers, managers, and investors, Transport Revolutions will appeal to all who need to keep ahead of mobility changes.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.