– 304 pages
6 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 465 Grams
BISAC: SOCIAL SCIENCE / Agriculture & Food
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2011-10-01
The Urban Food Revolution
Changing the Way We Feed Cities
by Peter Ladner
Our reliance on industrial agriculture has resulted in a food supply riddled with hidden environmental, economic and health care costs and beset by rising food prices. With only a handful of corporations responsible for the lionÂ’s share of the food on our supermarket shelves, we are incredibly vulnerable to supply chain disruption.
The Urban Food Revolution provides a recipe for community food security based on leading innovations across North America. The author draws on his political and business experience to show that we have all the necessary ingredients to ensure that local, fresh sustainable food is affordable and widely available. He describes how cities are bringing food production home by:
- Growing community through neighborhood gardening, cooking and composting programs
- Rebuilding local food processing, storage and distribution systems
- Investing in farmers markets and community supported agriculture
- Reducing obesity through local fresh food initiatives in schools, colleges and universities.
- Ending inner-city food deserts
Producing food locally makes people healthier, alleviates poverty, creates jobs, and makes cities safer and more beautiful. The Urban Food Revolution is an essential resource for anyone who has lost confidence in the global industrial food system and wants practical advice on how to join the local food revolution.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.