– 288 pages
6 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 465 Grams
BISAC: BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Environmental Economics
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2011-06-01
The Wealth of Nature
Economics as If Survival Mattered
The Wealth of Nature proposes a new model of economics based on the integral value of ecology. Building on the foundations of E.F. Schumacher's revolutionary Â“economics as if people matteredÂ”, this book examines the true cost of confusing money with wealth. By analyzing the mistakes of contemporary economics, it shows how an economy centered on natural capitalÂ—the raw materials that support human lifeÂ—can move our society toward a more productive relationship with the planet that sustains us all.
The Wealth of Nature suggests public policy initiatives and personal choices that can help alleviate the economic impact of peak oil. These strategies must address not only financial concerns, but the issues of resource depletion and pollution as well. Examples include:
- Adjusting tax policy to penalize the use of natural nonrenewable resources over recycled materials
- Placing public welfare above corporate interests
- Empowering individuals, families, and communities by prioritizing local, sustainable solutions
- Building economies at an appropriate scale.
Profoundly insightful and impeccably argued, this book is required reading for anyone interested in the intersection of the environment and the economy as we enter the twilight of the Age of Abundance .
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.