Here on the west coast we are aching to dig in and get gardening. Normally at this time of year we are watching our …
– 288 pages
6 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 465 Grams
BISAC: SOCIAL SCIENCE / Sociology / Rural
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2011-02-01
Choosing a Sustainable Future
Ideas and Inspiration from Ithaca, NY
by Liz Walker
We all want a sustainable future, but what does it look like, and how do we get there? In Ithaca, NY a new culture is blossoming - one that values cooperation, local production, environmental stewardship, social justice andcreativity. Ithaca is showing the way to meet the challenges of the day with a wide variety of practical, real-world solutions.
Filled with inspiring examples, Choosing a Sustainable Futureprovides readers with a remarkable sense of possibility. Explore Ithaca's:
- bustling, vibrant farmers markets, overflowing with fresh, local produce
- award-winning community credit union that triples the savings of low-income people
- flagship college sustainability programs
- pioneering alternative transportation programs, such as Ithaca Carshare
- innovative efforts by coalitions of local business, university, government and activists to create transformation in areas as diverse as green building, city planning, health and wellness, and honoring cultural diversity.
Taken together, these examples of citizen engagement are a taste of what life could be like in a sustainable city of the future. In a time of overwhelming economic, social and environmental crises, Choosing aSustainable Future provides a quiet, authoritative voice of hope.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.