We’re excited to be attending the 36th annual Guelph Organic Conference in Guelph, Ontario, January 26 – 29.
– 304 pages
6 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 506 Grams
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2014-04-01
Decline and Fall
The End of Empire and the Future of Democracy in 21st Century America
"Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world."
Although he was writing nearly a century ago, Yeats could just as easily be describing the United States today. The decline and fall of America's global empire is the central feature of today's geopolitical landscape, and the nature of our response to it will determine much of our future trajectory, with implications that reach far beyond the limits of one nation's borders.
Decline and Fall: The End of Empire and the Future of Democracy in 21st Century America challenges the conventional wisdom of empire. Using a wealth of historical examples combined with groundbreaking original analysis, author John Michael Greer:
- Shows how the United States has backed itself into a blind corner in the pursuit of political and economic power
- Explores the inevitable consequences of imperial collapse
- Proposes a renewal of democratic institutions as the only constructive way forward.
By shifting the conversation from whether today's American empire should survive to whether it can survive, and arguing persuasively that the answer to the above question is "no," Decline and Fall makes an invaluable contribution to the body of speculative post-industrial literature. This book is a must-read for anyone concerned about the State of the Union, or who believes that the time has come to reinvent the American Dream.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.