In today's post we hear from Darrell Frey, owner and manager of Three Sisters Farm, a 5-acre permaculture farm, solar …
CDN $16.95CDN $11.00 USD $16.95USD $11.00
– 224 pages
BISAC: BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Development / Sustainable Development
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2006-06-01
Energy Switch (PDF)
Proven Solutions for a Renewable Future
by Craig Morris
Declining oil supplies and the environmental impact of coal dictate a switch to renewable energy sources for a sustainable future. Written for a popular audience, Energy Switch details this momentous transition and proposes that the remaining non-renewable resources be used to develop a long-term supply of renewable energy.
A renewable energy leader two decades ago, the US now lags behind Germany and Japan. Energy Switch pays special attention to Europe's success, especially that of Germany, exploring what can be learned from their experience. It asks whether a mix of renewables is feasible as a major source of energy, at what cost, with what drawbacks, and in what time period. The book examines:
- The shortcomings and benefits of sources that might constitute a largely renewable energy platform: oil, nuclear, coal, biomass, natural gas, wind, PV, geothermal, hydrogen, wave and tidal power
- Ecological tax reform and tax rebates, quotas and net metering, and the role of privatization
- The success of efficiency measures, the vision of demand management -- tailoring power consumption to intermittent supply -- and the phenomenon of virtual power plants
- The secret of success being in attitudes and policies, rather than in technology
- How the US could once again become a renewable energy leader
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.