Welcome to spring! If you are like me, your fingers are itching to get into the dirt. Creating fertile and healthy …
for 20% discount
- CDN $34.99
- USD $34.99
– 144 pages
8.5 Inches × 11 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 415 Grams
BISAC: HOUSE & HOME / Do-It-Yourself / General
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2017-07-01
Essential Light Straw Clay Construction
The Complete Step-by-Step Guide
Light straw clay — straw mixed with clay slip — is a versatile, easy-to-use wall building material. Also called "slip-straw," its durability has been proven in beautiful, centuries-old buildings across Northern Europe and in modern high-performance buildings in North America.
Building code compliant in the US and using "waste" materials with high insulation value and excellent moisture handling qualities, it's both high-performance and low-impact. Yet until now, there has been no practical guide to using the material in a wide variety of construction and renovation projects.
Distilling decades of experience, Essential Light Straw Clay Construction is a fully illustrated step-by-step guide, ideal for both the DIYer and professional designer and builder alike. It covers:
- Material specifications, performance, and when and where to use it
- Estimating quantities, costs, and sourcing
- Illustrated, step-by-step guidance for mixing and installation, including "slip-chip" variations
- Detail drawings for various wall systems including stud, timber, and pole framing, Larsen trusses, I-joists, plus retrofits
- Code references, compliance, and best practice
- Finishing and maintenance techniques
- Additional resources.