Here on the west coast we are aching to dig in and get gardening. Normally at this time of year we are watching our …
– 320 pages
7.5 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 640 Grams
BISAC: SOCIAL SCIENCE / Sociology / General
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2008-07-01
The Coming Collapse and Transformation of Our World
It is now 5 minutes to midnight on the Doomsday Clock, reflecting the fact that we are closer to assuring the obliteration of our species than we have been at any time since the early eighties. We are rapidly approaching a tipping point, where we will either transform our violent, exploitative global system into a peaceful, cooperative one, or enter a catastrophic decline.
Evolution's Edge shows that limitless economic expansion is impossible on a finite planet. Our growth-based global system will collapse as critical resources become scarce and major ecosystems fail. However, new ideas, values and technologies can help us avoid disaster and create a better world.
Using evolutionary systems theory, Evolution's Edge explains how societies evolve and why rapid, non-linear change is not only possible but inevitable. It describes:
- Collapse -- how cascading crises will soon provoke system failure
- Transformation -- how emerging technologies, ideas, values and social organizations are supporting the evolution of a sustainable system
- Analysis -- how societies evolve into increasingly complex and conscious systems
- Action -- how a common, cooperative vision can accelerate constructive global change.
Evolution's Edge is the winner of the 2009 Independent Publisher's (IPPY) Outstanding Book of the Year Award in the category "Most Likely to Save the Planet". The book is a practical guide to a sustainable future and is vital reading for activists, educators, progressive thinkers and anyone concerned about the state of our world.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.