Welcome to spring! If you are like me, your fingers are itching to get into the dirt. Creating fertile and healthy …
– 256 pages
7.25 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 515 Grams
BISAC: COOKING / Specific Ingredients / Meat
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2015-11-01
The Ethical Meat Handbook
Complete home butchery, charcuterie and cooking for the conscious omnivore
Nutrition, environmental impact, ethics, sustainability — it seems like there's no end to the factors we must consider when we think about our food. At the center of the dietary storm is animal-based agriculture. Was your beef factory-farmed or pasture-raised? Did your chicken free range, or was it raised in a battery cage? Have you, in short, met your meat?
Most efforts to unravel the complexities of the production and consumption of animal protein tend to pit meat eaters and vegetarians against each other. The Ethical Meat Handbook seeks a middle ground, arguing that by assuming full responsibility for the food on our fork, and more importantly, the route by which it gets there, animals can be an optimal source of food, fiber, and environmental management. This hands-on, practical guide covers:
- Integrating animals into your garden or homestead
- Basic butchery: whole animal, primals, subprimals, and end-cuts, including safety and knife skills
- Charcuterie: history, general science and math principles, tooling up, and recipes
- Culinary highlights: getting creative, preparing difficult cuts, sauces, ferments, difficult cuts and extras.
Eating diversely may be the most revolutionary and proactive action we can take to ensure the sustainability of our food system. The Ethical Meat Handbook challenges us to take a hard look at our individual dietary choices, increase our self-reliance and at the same time enjoy delicious food that benefits our health and our planet.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.