Today's post is an excerpt from Dmitry Orlov's book, Shrinking the Technosphere: Getting a Grip on the Technologies …
– 224 pages
6 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 465 Grams
BISAC: BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Green Business
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2013-04-01
Financing our Foodshed
Growing Local Food with Slow Money
In towns and cities across North America, a quiet revolution is underway. Fed up with sending their money off to make a fast buck in faraway markets, people are putting their money to work where they live, in markets they trust and understand - starting with food.
Financing Our Foodshed is a collection of real life stories of these Slow Money pioneers and the local food entrepreneurs - sustainable farmers, bakers, restaurateurs, and more - they have chosen to support.
Fueled by their desire to do more than just eat local food, lenders of "nurture capital" are making low-interest, peer-to-peer loans to the people who produce, process, distribute and sell local food. Meet these passionate food entrepreneurs like:
- Abi, talented artist-turned-baker, who borrowed the funds to start a gluten-free bakery.
- Angelina, owner of a Greek local foods restaurant, who refinanced exorbitant credit card debt incurred by renovations.
- Chatham Marketplace, a much-loved grocery co-op whose monthly loan payments were reduced by a third, thanks to an ambitious collaboration between 16 investors.
Financing Our Foodshed tells the compelling stories of ordinary people doing something extraordinary, and will appeal to anyone who understands the critical importance of sustainably grown local food and resilient local economies, and wants a blueprint to get us there.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.