Today's post is an excerpt from Dmitry Orlov's book, Shrinking the Technosphere: Getting a Grip on the Technologies …
– 240 pages
6 Inches × 9 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 426 Grams
BISAC: BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Business Ethics
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2015-10-01
Rethinking the Way We Make, Market and Buy Our Clothes
With sales of more than US $500 billion a year, the fashion industry is one of the most important sectors of the global economy, employing millions of men, women, and often children in the developing world. And yet its record is far from pretty. The collapse of Bangladesh's Rana Plaza with some 3,500 garment workers inside was a shocking example of what can go wrong when manufacturers ruthlessly cut costs while turning a blind eye to labor rights and workplace safety issues.
Written by an apparel industry insider, Fixing Fashion argues that the true legacy of Rana Plaza is increased awareness of how cheap, disposable clothing had led time and again to serious environmental, community and labour rights abuses. Ethical supply chain professional Michael Lavergne explores:
- The birth of the global apparel trade, from colonialism and slavery to today's neoliberal Free Trade agenda
- How the infamous race to the bottom has led to some of the worst social and environmental excesses in the global apparel industry
- The rise of a new breed of entrepreneurs and stakeholders driving change and transparency across international supply chains.
By taking a hard look at the very real impacts of our consumer culture's addiction to disposable fashion, Fixing Fashion challenges each of us to take full responsibility for understanding the hidden cost of our clothes.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.